Wednesday, November 25, 2009

R茅sum茅 Help?

I've written r茅sum茅s before but now I realize there are many things that I've done wrong. For example, the microsoft templates are considered uncreative to some employers.



Anyway, I just have a few questions that are confusing me:



1. Does it really matter what the font style or colour is?



2. I have no real job experience yet, so should I include babysitting a few summer tasks performed to beef up my experience?



3. Do I need to have a career objective? Or is that just for graduates with degrees and so on?



4. Should hobbies even be included?



I'm still in high school so I don't have graduate diplomas or any other post-high school education that might help my chances. Is there anything else I can do to spruce up this r茅sum茅? Thank you for you time!



R茅sum茅 Help?microsoft flight simulator



I'm a college student, so I'm always redoing my resume for jobs. But I definitely understand that you're still in high school! So yours is going to be way different.



1. Yes, it matters what font and color - make sure to use only black ink, and use a font that is legible - nothing too fancy. I personally use Californian, since Times New Roman is too boring - other good ones, Tamoha, Arial, Comic Sans, Century Gothic.



2. Babysitting is definitely a job! I put it on my high school resume. But later on, take it off when you have had a real job.



3. Career objective - no, not really. There's debate on if anyone should have it - is it necessary to show you have direction? OR is it just redundant?



4. I'm not sure if you mean "hobbies" like playing the piano or painting or something. Or if you mean clubs and activitues you do - like NHS, Yearbook, Softball team - INCLUDE THOSE! Extracurrilar is important. It shows how well rounded you are.



Just a few tips:



List your strongest areas first - there's not standard order. So maybe: education, then activities, then experience (if you don't have a lot of that).



Make sure you have your name, email, phone #, and address on it.



Don't say "references upon request on it" - it's a given.



GOOD LUCK!!



R茅sum茅 Help?windows 2000 internet explorer



If you REALLY WANT A JOB then you should have a 'plain black type' (Times New Roman font size 12) on 'plain white paper ... and you should have a 'career objective' that is 'suitable for your age' as well as all of the 'work' you have done, whether it is 'volunteer' or 'paid' ... and you should NEVER have more than ONE page ... you need to put your 'hobbies' down ONLY IF THEY ARE APPROPRIATE to the type of work you are using the resume to get ... raising feeding your pet bunny would be a good hobby to list if you were applying to work in a Vet's office, but not if you wanted to do 'customer service' at a McDonalds ...
Good for you! It's good to know that there are young people with ambition!



1. It doesn't matter too much which font you use as long as it is legible and not too big or small (10 - 13). To portray yourself as a professional, you'll probably want to choose a plain font such as Times New Roman, Arial, Courier New, Tahoma, or my favorite, Palatino Linotype.



2. List your jobs experience as various summer jobs and include your babysitting experience.



3. Unless you have a lot of specialized skills that you can showcase in a "Key Qualifications" section, you do need an objective. It should be narrowed to a specific field of work, such as customer service, also include whether you are seeking full-time or part-time employment.



4. Include hobbies that are relevant, i.e., some skills that you use in the hobby would also be used on the job.



I would also include any volunteer work for non-profit organizations, such as church, scouts, etc.



Best of luck to you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
postage rate